Annual Flushing Program
Water Main Flushing Schedule
August 7 – November 18, 2022
11 pm to 5 am
Schedule subject to change
- Sunday, August 7 – Friday, August 12
- Sunday, August 14 – Friday, August 19
- Sunday, August 21 – Friday, August 26
- Sunday, August 28 – Friday, September 16
- Sunday, September 18 – Friday, September 23
- Sunday, September 25 – Friday, September 30
- Sunday, October 2 – Friday, October 7
- Sunday, October 9 – Friday, October 14
- Sunday, October 16 – Friday, October 21
- Sunday, October 23 – Friday, October 28
- Sunday, October 30 – Friday, November 4
- Sunday, November 6 – Friday, November 11
- Sunday, November 13 - Friday, November 18
Why does Easton Utilities “flush” the water mains?
Flushing the water mains improves water quality by removing sediment that slowly builds up at the bottom of the water main over time. The sediment comes from internal corrosion of the water mains over many years.
When will the program start and how will I be informed?
- The Annual Flushing Program will occur during the dates listed above.
- Customers in the immediate areas where flushing will occur will be contacted via a robocall 72 hours in advance and again 24 hours in advance.
- Crews will work each night, Sunday through Thursday (excluding holidays), from 11 pm until 5 am.
How does the flushing work?
The annual flushing program consists of opening certain hydrants in brief intervals to flush out sediment that may have collected in water mains over the past year. This enhances the long-term water quality, confirm adequate fire flows, and identifies possible malfunctions in the hydrants and system valves.
How will I be affected?
- To reduce the possibility of an inconvenience to our customers, flushing will be conducted overnight between 11 pm and 5 am.
- During the flushing of the water mains, there may be a temporary reduction of water pressure or some discoloration in the tap water. This discoloration condition is not harmful and can be addressed quickly by running cold water until it is clear after the flushing in the immediate area is complete.
- Water service should not be disrupted during the flushing process. our water remains safe, meeting if not exceeding all water quality standards.
- We suggest not washing clothes during these operations.
What should I do if my water is discolored after Easton Utilities has flushed the water mains?
- Water is sometimes discolored after water main cleaning, but this should not last long. In the event of discolored water into the home, flush a cold tap only a few minutes, up to 15 minutes maximum. As a precaution, prior to using hot water run the cold water tap for a few minutes to ensure discolored water is not drawn into the hot water tank.
- Call Easton Utilities at 410-822-6110 with any questions or concerns.
Is water main cleaning a waste of water?
No, this is a normal and necessary part of maintaining a safe and reliable drinking water supply. If water is discharged into the environment, it will soak back into the groundwater basins for reuse.